Community Gardening 2020 Growing Season
Good news we will be having a 2020 gardening season but with some necessary modifications to our gardening behaviour due to the Covid 19 situation. Ann from the Varsity Community Centre and the Garden Club Executive has come up with a code of conduct for the Garden that is compliant with the Covid 19 situation we are under. Our code of conduct is based on recommendations from the City of Calgary Parks Department and from the Calgary Horticultural Society. Please note that there is still a chance the City could require the closure of Community Gardens.
Directives that gardeners are expected to abide by for 2020 or until further notice.
- Personal Health: Please do NOT come to the garden if you are unwell (fever, cough, difficulty breathing). Please do NOT come to the garden if you should be in quarantine due to travel or contact with a Covid 19 positive / suspected positive person.
- Personal Protective Equipment: Please wear whatever equipment you feel is necessary for your protection. Gardeners should always wear gloves to prevent injuries. We strongly recommend that gardeners wear gloves.
- Working in the garden: Please maintain a 2-meter distance from other gardeners. Be patient and wait for the person beside you to finish. We will be organizing planting times and dates to avoid close proximity to your neighbour
- Equipment: Please use your own water cans, tools, taps etc. Please don’t store these items in your plot, bring them with you, then take them home. Avoid sharing these items.
- Personal Planters: For those with in ground plots please do not set flowerpots or containers on the grass beside your plot. These pots have to be moved for lawn mowing.
- Garden Shed: The garden shed, and its contents will not be available to the membership this season.
- Herb Garden: On hiatus for weed control and communal plots are not allowed this year.
Starting May 16th
Plant and tend your garden ANY morning.
- Plot numbers 1, 3, 6, 8, 10, 11, 13, 15, 18, 20, 22, 24, 26, 28, 30, 32, 34, 36
Plant and tend your garden ANY afternoon.
- Plot numbers 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 12, 14, 16, 17, 19, 21, 23, 25, 27, 29. 31, 33. 35
After Jun 15th
As per the membership agreement all plots should be planted by this time.
We then ask you to follow the directives posted on the garden fence and respect social distancing.
The Varsity Community Garden (VCG) is a volunteer-managed community garden that promotes sustainable gardening practices, innovative garden-based learning, and environmental conservation.
All our gardeners and volunteers are registered members of the Varsity Community Garden Club (VCGC). Submit or renew your membership application to join this year’s VCGC. The Varsity Community Association (VCA), which serves Calgary’s northwest neighborhood of Varsity, supports the Varsity Community Garden Club administrative, educational, and community outreach programs
We have 36 plots for individuals to rent, and several group plots. There are common plots such as the herb gardens, the potato and pumpkin patch, and several flower pots that are tended by volunteers to make them flourish.